9/15/18

New Job! and encouragement for those still looking.

As a recent MLIS graduate, ok maybe for some December of last year is not recent but I still feel that it is. I have been seriously looking for a permeant job since then, and even though I did not find my ideal job I do have one now that I enjoy.

In my new position, I coordinate youth services for a small rural branch library while also helping at the main branch during the week. It is a lot of driving, but I’m used to it because I live in a small mountain community and a commute is normal for anyone with a career not in teaching, logging, etc. I’ve been on the job for about a week now and am still figuring out what I’m doing exactly.
Needless to say, my reading has taken another hit, I don’t read like I should and when I do I just don’t read long, which seems ironic I work in a library after all. But sometimes one just needs to step back and focus on something new. I’ve learned that the job search is tiring but training in a new position, while exciting, is just as difficult. For anyone looking for a position they love (or simply need) don’t give up there are library positions out there. My best advice is to be patient and in time the right group will come along. I am blessed because the director or the system I subbed in wanted me to stay and worked hard to find me a good place, even if it is not ideal for me, that could lead to a better position.

The idea is to never give up on your dreams. I am a step closer but still not there and will never give up on perusing what I want. I also follow my faith and seek the Lord’s will for my life in all I do. For some praying for a job may seem strange because they do not adhere to the same faith as I do so find something to have hope in and pursue it. Having grounding in Christ has helped me through my time of less than ideal employment and a focus or goal can help you too.

Some books I’ve been reading (I was working on preschool storytimes this week):
·         Have you Seen My New Blue Socks? By Eve Bunting
·         The Day the Crayons Quit By Drew Daywalt
·         The Day the Crayons Came Home by Drew Daywalt
·         A Monstrous Regiment of Women By Laurie King (my fun book I’m just starting)


Disclaimer: The opinions expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of LS&S.

No comments:

Post a Comment